Sunday, February 24, 2008

LibraryThing.com

It took me a while, but I eventually found the APA format citing example. I went to Edit Info in my library listing, then selected APA under the book details tab. It seems like some of the benefic from this would come from using it over time. I entered a dozen books or so that I've read over the past several years - some for pleasure, some a combination of business/work and pleasure. If I were diligent about making a library entry everytime I finished a book, my comments/review would be more meaningful. I didn't take the time to enter a lot of comments/reviews, in part because some of the books - like the Grisham books I read for pleasure - I no longer remember enough about and was more interested in understanding how this works than reviewing every Grisham book I've read.

Again, I can see some benefit to using this in my Entrpereneurship class. I require students to read one self-help business related book that interests them. I've read many over the years, so if I developed this library to list and review all those books it could be a resource for my entrepreneurship students to use in their book selection. Realistically, though, I don't think they struggle that much to select a book for a couple reasons. First, if you visit borders and read the book covers it's pretty easy to get an idea of what the book's like. Second, there are so many book reviews, cliff notes, etc. available online that adding my 2 cents would be worth about that much - 2 cents. :)

No comments: